Brian McKay and Eric Puffer hosted a tasting with Stone Brewing and cheese sold at Art Mart. The event happens once a year at Art Mart, but McKay and Puffer host different tastings around town throughout the year. This tasting cost $25 and got you a bite or two of about five cheeses and beers.
The event was well attended, hosting patrons at sit down and stand up tables. The guided tasting lasted about an hour but folks hung around and talked afterwards. McKay and Puffer were very friendly and well versed in cheese and beer. They were fun to hang with. Check out my photos and recommendations for cheeses and beers below.
Stone Cali-Belgique IPA
- IPA with a Belgium yeast added to it which cuts down on the pine taste.
- Reminds me of Delirium Tremens.
- Drink it as a night cap, not an all day beer.
Saison Du Buff
- Lighter than the IPA.
- Hints of parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme.
- Drink on a warm summer afternoon on the farm.
- Crisp, deep flavor.
- Heavy and creamy.
- Drink when it's cold out, like a chilly October night.
Der Scharfe cheese
- Pair with Arrogant Bastard.
- Creamy, warm.
- No need for bread or crackers.
- Named because it would "ruin your taste buds."
- Double IPA.
- Strong, another night cap beer.
- Harder cheese.
- Paired with Ruination.
- Sharp tasting.
- Well paired.
Imperial Russian Stout
- Very dark
- Chocolatey, rich.
- Paired with a smokey blue cheese and chocolate (not pictured).
- With the cheese and chocolate, it's an entire meal.
More photos of the event