Another Record Store Day is upon us, and we’re here to provide an overview of the festivities going down music-wise. Now with the introduction of Error Records into the mix, we have ourselves a two-headed monster on Saturday.
Dozens of bands lined up between Exile on Main Street and Error Records‘ stores around Downtown Champaign for people to see, plus tons of exclusive releases from both places, as well as a couple of shows to look forward to as well. Outside of these exclusive releases, there are always tons of albums for sale. There is a lot to buy that isn’t necessarily “exclusive”, if you will.
In case you missed it, last year I had a chance to discuss RSD with Exile on Main’s Jeff Brandt and everything that goes into planning the event each year. You can see that article here, as well as listen to what he had to say on SP Radio from last Friday here.
Here’s a full rundown of what’s happening this Saturday, plus some other shows that aren’t necessarily related to RSD, but are worth mentioning.
Note: now that our site is fully mobile-friendly, take this with you so you stay on your toes and know which bands play when as you’re around town.
EXILE ON MAIN STREET — 1 Main Street, Champaign
Store opens — 10 a.m.
Music begins — 10 a.m.
Price — Free
10:00 a.m. — Mutts
10:30 a.m. — Cody & The Gateway Drugs
11:00 a.m. — The Fights
11:30 a.m. — Anna Karenina/Anna Karina
12:00 p.m. — An Evening With Your Mother
12:30 p.m. — Finer Feelings
1:00 p.m. — The 92s
1:30 p.m. — Sonny Stubble
2:00 p.m. — Motes
2:30 p.m. — Barrowe
3:00 p.m. — Hank.
3:30 p.m. —
Swords Update: Megan Johns will take Swords place after his cancellation.
4:00 p.m. — DJ Mertz
4:30 p.m. — Jay Moses
5:00 p.m. — Kirkwood West
5:30 p.m. — The Curses
6:00 p.m. — Ryan Groff of Elsinore
6:30 p.m. — Duke of Uke
7:00 p.m. — Dino Bravo
7:30 p.m. — That’s No Moon
8:00 p.m. — Mille Nomi
8:30 p.m. — Beat Kitchen
- Barrowe is releasing “some.times.” b/w “Robert Sigur” 7” with The Stars, They Beckon. Check it out.
- Dino Bravo is releasing a new tape, which they will have available at the show.
- Mille Nomi is releasing The Human EP, available digitally on their Bandcamp page.
- The Fights released a new EP a few weeks ago, which I would imagine will be available for purchase at Exile.
RSD releases available at Exile on Main Street:
Around 150-200 different exclusive releases will be available so an exhaustive list would just be excessive. See a ton of the releases at Exile’s Facebook page. Here are a select few, as recommended by Exile’s owner and operator, Jeff Brandt:
- Bob Dylan – Wigwam
- Brian Eno/Grizzly Bear – Nicholas Jaar Remixes
- Built to Spill – Live
- Codeine – What About the Lonely
- Flaming Lips – Zaireeka
- Husker Du – Amazement
- Low + Dirty Three – In the Fishtank 7”
- Owen – Seaside EP
- The Glove – Blue Sunshine
- The Roots –Things Fall Apart
- Their/They’re/There – S/T
- White Stripes – Elephant
Additional Info: The show supposed to be outside on Freemont Street (weather permitting) now instead of inside, so a bit of a switch up this year for Exile. 88.7 WPCD will be broadcasting the entire event. Skins ‘N’ Tins is providing the drumkit and Analog Outfitter is providing the sound and sound guys for this show.
ERROR RECORDS — 702 S. Neil Street, Champaign
Store opens — 8 a.m.
Music begins — 11 a.m.
Price — Free
11:00 a.m. — Jon Tracey
11:45 a.m. — Jake Lee
12:00 p.m. — Kamila Glowacki
12:30 p.m. — Midas The Crow
1:15 p.m. — Justin Scofield
1:45 p.m. — Goblin Colors
2:30 p.m. — One Man Short
3:15 p.m. — Nothing Yet
4:00 p.m. — Polypsis
4:07 p.m. — Cecilia Payne
4:30 p.m. — Jeremiah Fisher
5:15 p.m. — Marathon
6:00 p.m. — Mark Wyman of Take Care & Barrowe
6:45 p.m. — Year of the Bobcat
7:30 p.m. — Shy Guy Says
8:15 p.m. — Orange Soda
9:15 p.m. — Enta
10:00 p.m. — Horrible Things
10:45 p.m. — The Stars, The Beckon
- Goblin Colors have released a new record, Chambers, which is available for free at their website.
- Enta just released a split 10” EP on Skeletal Lightning with Strangers Now.
- As mentioned above, The Stars, They Beckon are releasing a new split with Barrowe.
RSD releases available at Error Records:
- Across Tundras/Lark’s Tongue – “split” (LP)
- At The Drive-In – Relationship Of Command (LP)
- Best Coast – “Fear of My Identity b/w Who Have I Become” (7″)
- Botch – American Nervoso (2XLP)
- Braid – Frame and Canvas (LP)
- Cave In – Until Your Heart Stops (LP)
- Chelsea Wolfe/King Dude “Sing Songs Together” (7″)
- Comeback Kid – Turn It Around (LP)
- Elliot Smith – Alternate Versions from Either/Or (7″)
- Ghoul – Maniaxe (LP)
- Ghoul – “Intermediate Level Hard-Core- A Clearview Records Music Primer Featuring Ghoul” (10″)
- Like Rats – “LIke Rats” (7″)
- Owen – The Seaside EP (12″)
- Ringworm – “1991 Demos” (7″)
- Sleep – Dopesmoker (2xLP)
- Sleep – Dopesmoker CS
- The Atlas Moth/Wolvhammer – “split” (7″)
- The Repos – “Rejoice in Ruin b/w Haunted Piece” (7″)
- Their/They’re/There – “Their/They’re/There” (12″)
- Turning Shrines – “Face of Another” (12″)
- Whirr – “Part Time Punks Sessions” (7″)
LATE NIGHT SHOWS
MIKE ‘N MOLLY’S — 105 N. Market Street, Champaign
Show — 8 p.m.
Price — $7
Purling Hiss, Jared Bartman, Orbit Dangerfield
Purling Hiss is a pretty badass garage/psych rock band out of the City of Brotherly Love. They performed in our neck of the woods last September at Pygmalion, where they delivered a blistering mid-day set. They’re back in town supporting their newest batch of tracks on their new record, Water on Mars. This is a fantastic option to round out your RSD at Mike ‘N Molly’s.
Common Loon, The Field Auxillary, Speed Governor, Goblin Colors — ?????????
You see the bill and clues. That’s about all we’re willing to disclose for this one, other than the basics. Get lifted.