Time: Sept. 15, 6:30–8:30 p.m.
Location: Steps of the IMC
On Wednesday, September 15th, President Barack Obama will issue a proclamation honoring the work of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered centers across the United States, communicating a presidential policy in support of LGBT community organization. The UP Center of Champaign County will celebrate this historic moment through staging a reading of the proclamation on the steps of the Independent Media Center from 6:30–7:00 p.m.
With this celebration, the UP Center draws awareness to its campaign to create a physical center to serve the LBGT and allied community, and asks Champaign County residents to show their support either through donating directly via its website or voting for the UP Center grant in the Pepsi Refresh Project. Voting ends September 30th
Presidential Proclamation Event
- opens with a brief welcome
- follows with a spoken word reprisal from CU Pride Fest
- transitions to statements by Urbana City Official
- moves to reading of the Presidential proclamation by Kevin Johnson
- ends with open mic opportunity for allied organizations
* Event includes music by DJ Randall
Go here for more information.