The City of Champaign and New American Welcome Center at the University YMCA are teaming up to host a Flag Day celebration and Citizenship Fair on June 14th from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Champaign City Building. From the press release:
The public is invited to stop by for a fun-filled afternoon in honor of Flag Day. The celebration will feature the stories of America’s newest citizens and share information about the naturalization process. This event is free, family-friendly, and open to everyone. Free refreshments will also be served. Champaign Mayor Deborah Frank Feinen will provide a welcome speech to kick off the event.
Naturalization can be an easy process if you obtain the right help. The Office of Equity, Community and Human Rights, New American Welcome Center, Urbana Adult Education, The Immigration Project, and other organizations will offer information, support, and resources to attendees and be available to answer questions like:
- How do I become a U.S. citizen?
- Why should I become a U.S. citizen?
- How can my children become U.S. citizens?
- What is the citizenship interview like?
- How do I prepare for the citizenship test?
- Are there lawyers who can help with my application?
- Where can I get information about local services?
To find out more about the work of the New American Welcome Center, check out their website.
Photo from City of Champaign Facebook page