The Muslim American Society (MAS) hosted an informational session yesterday at the Champaign Public Library aimed to not only break the ice with the community between Muslims and non-Muslims, but to create friendships while educating the public about the Muslim religion.
The event was well attended. There was food, informational posters, hijab fitting, henna tattoos, and a lecture. I spoke with Dr. Ahmed A. Taha and asked him to tell me some points that Muslims would want non-Muslims to know about them. He gave me five points:
- Muslims are normal people just like you and me.
- Muslims have been in our country for 100s of years.
- Muslims are stakeholders in our society.
- Muslims have and continue to contribute to our country.
- Muslims are friendly, speak to them!
A good crowd turned out.
Dr. Ahmed A. Taha.
Serving up treats.
Seeing your name in another language.
Henna tattooing, with a smile.
Keep up to date with the MAS events on their Facebook page.