This week (August 6th through 12th) is National Farmers Market Week, and the Urbana and Champaign markets are celebrating. There will be special events at each of the markets (Champaign’s Tuesday evening, and Urbana’s Saturday morning), as well as an opportunity to complete a “tic-tac-toe” card and submit it for a chance to win a basket of about $300 worth of goodies.
Details are below. In the meantime, check out Market Watch for a guide to this month’s markets.
From the City of Urbana’s Press Release:
Contact: Natalie Kenny Marquez
City of Urbana
400 South Vine Street
Urbana, IL 61801
Email: [email protected]
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE—August 7, 2017
Urbana’s Market at the Square and The Land Connection Champaign Farmers’ Market Jointly Celebrate National Farmers Market Week 2017
National Farmers Market Week will take place from August 6-12, 2017, and Urbana’s Market at the Square and The Land Connection’s Champaign Farmers’ Market are joining forces to celebrate local food, local farmers and the power of shopping local.
In 2016, there were more than 8,000 farmers markets in the US and over 400 in Illinois. The numbers continue to rise as farmers markets become fresh food mainstays for shoppers across all socio-economic, political and ethnic ranges. Now more than ever, farmers markets serve as anchors across American communities, positively influencing community health and wealth. Markets result in more viable regional economies and local farm businesses, increased access to fresh, nutritious food and stronger social networks that help keep communities healthy.
To celebrate the Urbana and Champaign farmers market will offer a “tic-tac-toe” card to participants to complete. A completed card submitted to the Champaign and/or Urbana farmers market will offer the participant a chance to win a gift basket worth over $300 in local goodies. In addition, each farmers market will offer various activities at their respective farmers markets:
The Champaign Farmers’ Market events will take place throughout the market on Tuesday, August 8 from 3:30-6:30 pm in the lot at the corner of Neil & Main in Downtown Champaign and include:
- Mayoral Proclamation: Champaign Deputy Mayor Tom Bruno will ring the opening bell at 3:30 and read a proclamation in support of National Farmers Market Week
- Sampling tent: Stop by for a taste of fresh market produce and great recipe ideas.
- Cut flower demonstration: Champaign flower farmer extraordinaire Joan Jach of Old Town Flowers will hold a demonstration on flower arranging.
- Where’s Eggwardo?: The hunt is on for your favorite Champaign eggplant mascot. Bring the kids along to root out his hiding spots at the Champaign Farmers’ Market and win a market tshirt.
- Kid’s Table: We’ll have our regular chalk, hula hoops, and jump ropes out for the kids to play, plus the debut of our big new market games: Veggie Tac Toe and Fruit Tac Toe. We’ll even have a fun little game for your dogs!
Urbana’s Market at the Square events will take place at the northwest corner (main entrance) of the farmers market on Saturday, August 12 and include:
- Art at the Market (8am-Noon): Join the Urbana Public Arts Program and Makerspace for a paper circuits workshop. The activity is simple, free, and fun for all ages.
- Performance at the Market (9:30-11:30am): Bone Jugs in addition to Mackville will be belting out their famous tunes throughout the morning.
- Mayoral Proclamation (10:45 am): Mayor Diane Marlin will read a proclamation in support of National Farmers Market Week.
- Kale Eating Contest (11am): Probably the most nutritious competitive eating contest you’ll ever see. Watch competitors take on the leafy green and compete to win the title of 2nd Annual Kale Eating Contest King or Queen!
# # #
Top photo by Jessica Hammie.