The leaves have not yet begun to fall, but these chilly morning temps are a reminder that the time will soon be upon us. Champaign and Urbana have both announced their fall yard waste pickup dates, and details for how to properly bag your leaves and such. It’s worth considering, however, to just let your leaves lie, mowing over them to help them decompose. As we noted in our editorial a few weeks ago, “Leaving at least some of the leaves in your yard can help fertilize your grass and other plants, provide shelter for animals and even reduce emissions from landfills.”
Have bagged leaves and/or bundled branches and twigs on the curb by 6 a.m. on your collection date. You can find your collection zone by checking the yard waste collection map. Find full guidelines and helpful tips at the City of Champaign website.
- B-1: October 9th, October 23rd, November 6th, November 27th
- B-2: October 10th, October 24th, November 7th, November 28th
- B-3: October 11th, October 25th, November 8th, November 29th
- B-4: October 12th, October 26th, November 9th, November 30th
- B-5: October 13th, October 27th, November 10th, December 1st
- O-1: October 16th, October 30th, November 13th, December 4th
- O-2: October 17th, October 31st, November 14th, December 5th
- O-3: October 18th, November 1st, November 15th, December 6th
- O-4: October 19th, November 2nd, November 16th, December 7th
- O-5: October 20th, November 3rd, November 17th, December 8th
Place leaves and non-woody plant material in paper lawn bags on the curb on your regular U-cycle day. Not sure what your day is? You can find out using these maps. They will not accept branches or brush. Find more info on the U-cycle website.
- October 30th to November 3rd
- November 13th to 17th
- November 27th to December 1st