Both of Champaign-Urbana’s farmers’ markets (Urbana’s Market at the Square andChampaign’s Land Connection Market) are teaming up next week to celebrate National Farmers’ Market Week. A tic-tac-toe card for both markets will be included, where patrons will have the chance to win more than $300 worth of local food. What’s not to love?
For more information, check out the press release below:
National Farmers Market Week will take place from August 7-13, 2016, and Urbana’s Market at the Square and The Land Connection’s Champaign Farmers’ Market are joining forces to celebrate local food, local farmers and the power of shopping local.
In 2015, there were more than 8,000 farmers markets in the US and over 400 in Illinois. The numbers continue to rise as farmers markets become fresh food mainstays for shoppers across all socio-economic, political and ethnic ranges. Now more than ever, farmers markets serve as anchors across American communities, positively influencing community health and wealth. Markets result in more viable regional economies and local farm businesses, increased access to fresh, nutritious food and stronger social networks that help keep communities healthy.
To celebrate the Urbana and Champaign farmers market will offer a “tic-tac-toe” card to participants to complete. A completed card submitted to the Champaign and/or Urbana farmers market will offer the participant a chance to win a gift basket worth over $300 in local goodies. In addition, each farmers market will offer various activities at their respective farmers markets:
The Champaign Farmers’ Market events will take place throughout the market on Tuesday, August 9 from 4-7pm in the lot at the corner of Neil & Main in Downtown Champaign and include:
- Sampling tent: Stop by for a taste of fresh market produce, meat, breads and great recipe ideas.
- Glassblowing demonstration: Check out and purchase gorgeous creations by Mack Glass, and learn more about their classes.
- Where’s Eggwardo?: The hunt is on for your favorite Champaign eggplant mascot. Root out his hiding spots at the Champaign Farmers’ Market and win great prizes.
- Make your own market stalls: Join the Orpheum Children’s Science Museum for an imaginative activity where kids can make their own dream market stalls out of recycled materials.
Urbana’s Market at the Square events will take place at the northwest corner (main entrance) of the farmers market on Saturday, August 13 and include:
- Art at the Market (8am-Noon): Join the Urbana Public Arts Program and Makerspace for a t-shirt-to-tote bag workshop. The activity is simple for people of all ages and can be completed in less than 10 minutes.
- Mayoral Proclamation (9 am)
- Kale Eating Contest (9:15am): Probably the most nutritious competitive eating contest you’ll ever see. Watch competitors take on the leafy green and compete to win the title of Kale King or Queen!
- Performance (9:30-11:30am): Los Guapos is a three-piece band from Champaign that combines rhythmic and melodic elements from Afro-Cuban, chichi, surf, jazz, salsa and dub music to create a laid-back sound.
To learn more about Urbana’s Market at the Square please visit www.urbanaillinois.us/market, call 217/384-2319 or follow the Market on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
To learn more about The Land Connection Champaign Farmers’ Market please visit http://thelandconnection.org/market, call 217/840-2128 or follow the Market on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.