It’s Illinois Marathon weekend, and even if you are not running or volunteering or cheering for runners, it will impact your life. Both cities will be impacted by the events in terms of road closures, so be sure to check out the driving situation before you venture out. Traffic will be pulsed across some intersections, but honestly it’s a lot better for everyone if you just try to avoid the race routes all together. Check out the “beltway” map that shows clear routes for circumventing the race.
Here are the specific impacts in Champaign and Urbana, from their respective websites:
In advance of the 5K Run/Walk on April 26, Stadium Drive will close at 6:45 PM and remain closed until the race is over. The remainder of the route will close at 7:00 PM. This route includes Oak Street, First Street, Green Street, Sixth Street, and Gregory Drive. No traffic will be able to get in or out of the area enclosed by those streets until approximately 9:00 PM.
For the Illinois Marathon Races on April 27, the following streets will be closed at the time listed, they will be re-opened after clean up crews have followed up behind the runners, times will vary:
6:30 AM – Intersection of First Street and Green Street
6:30 AM – First Street between Hazelwood Street and Green Street
6:30 AM – Green Street from First Street to Wright Street
7:20 AM – Neil Street from Church/Main Street to Clark Street
7:20 AM – Church Street eastbound between Neil Street and State Street
7:30 AM – Fourth Street between Green Street and Pennsylvania Avenue
You can find Champaign parking restrictions here.
The City of Urbana will restrict parking and close several streets to thru traffic for the Illinois Marathon, which will take place on Saturday, April 27, 2019.
All street closings will begin at 6:00 AM. The entire route will be closed by 6:30 AM. (Traffic will be pulsed across the route when possible). The following streets will re-open at these approximate times:
- Green Street from Wright Street to Lincoln Avenue – 8:30 AM
- Green Street from Lincoln Avenue to Race Street – 8:40 AM
- Race Street from Green Street to Main Street – 8:45 AM
- Main Street from Race Street to Cottage Grove Avenue – 8:50 AM (One west bound lane will remain open during race)
- Cottage Grove Avenue/Philo Road from Main Street to Washington Street – 9:00 AM
- Washington Street from Philo Road to Kinch Street – 9:10 AM (West bound lanes will remain open from Kinch Street to Lierman Avenue during race)
- Kinch Street from Washington Street to Florida Avenue – 9:15 AM
- Florida Avenue from Kinch Street to Smith Road/Stone Creek Boulevard – 9:20 AM
- Stone Creek Boulevard from Smith Road to Amber Lane – 9:40 AM
- Amber Lane from Stone Creek Boulevard to Philo Road – 9:45 AM (East bound lane will remain open from Myra Ridge to Stone Creek Boulevard during race)
- McHenry Street from Philo Road to Vine Street – 9:50 AM
- Vine Street from McHenry Street to Windsor Road – 10:00 AM
- Windsor Road from Philo Road to Race Street – 10:25 AM
- Race Street from Windsor Road to Pennsylvania Avenue – 10:40 AM
- Pennsylvania Avenue from Race Street to Lincoln Avenue – 11:00 AM
Urbana Temporary Parking Restrictions:
Temporary parking restrictions that begin on Saturday, April 27 at 6:00 AM until further notice will be posted on the following streets:
- Green Street from Busey Avenue to Cedar Street
- Main Street from Race Street to Vine Street
- Main Street from Maple Street to Cottage Grove Avenue
- Kinch Street from Washington Street to Florida Avenue
- Pennsylvania Avenue from Race Street to Lincoln Avenue
Temporary parking restrictions will be removed as the streets re-open after the Marathon.
Photo by Melinda Edwards