What: Public Open House: Windsor Road Improvment Project
Where: Philo Road Church of Christ, 2601 S. Philo Rd
When: 5-7pm, Thursday, May 15
The City of Urbana will hold a public open house to provide information concerning the upcoming Windsor Road Improvement Project. The open house is casual and open for any interested parties. There will be no formal presentation, per say, but exhibits, plans, and aerial photography of the proposed changes will be available for viewing. Staff from Hanson Professional Services Inc. and the City of Urbana Engineering Division will be available to talk about the project and answer any questions that visitors might have.
The project proposal:
- The existing four lanes of Winsor Road will remain, but the widths of the lanes will be reduced to eleven feet.
- A five foot grass median will be installed throughout the length of the project (excluding intersections, of course) to control access to adjacent properties.
- The north and south approaches to the Race Street and Philo Road intersections will be reconstructed.
- A new traffic signal will be installed, with accessible pedestrian signals, at the intersection of Windsor and Race.
- Rectangular rapid flashing beacons will be installed at the Windsor and Vine intersection crosswalk to Meadowbrook Park to increase pedestrian safety.
Construction is expected to begin mid-summer of 2014 and be completed in the fall of 2015. Two-way, east-west traffic will be maintained on Windsor Road during improvement. The Race Street and Philo Road intersections, however, are expected to be closed for periods of time to allow for reconstruction of those specific areas.
The total project cost, which will be funded with Federal Surface Transportation Program funds and Local Motor Fuel Tax funds, is expected to cost less than six million dollars.